Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 27-07-07, 11:16 AM
OC3D Elite

I can sleep quite well, but I used to have problems too. I agree with some of the points here, it can be caused by having something on your mind or having something important to do the next day.

I found that if I don't go to bed because I'm tired, and I go to bed because I feel I "should", then I can stay up until silly hours trying to fall asleep. So now I make sure I'm knackered before crawling into bed, then I watch some 30 minute show on my PC (Family Guy, Futurama etc). I normally start falling asleep half way through so I reach over and shut the PC off

Another point, you can't force yourself to sleep. You can't go "right I have to fall asleep now or by XX'o'clock", it doesn't work. You need to keep your mind entertained on something else and you will just drift off :sleep:

Old 27-07-07, 11:37 AM
OC3D Elite

You deffo can't sleep if there is something on your mind.

The gf has been staying at mine this week and I couldn't sleep one night.

The annoying thing was - I didn't think anything was bothering me. I then started thinking about sleeping. From that point on I began to get frustrated as my mind wouldn't turn off.

I had to get up, check my schedule because 'something' was bothering me. I saw I had a project board meeting and then I realised it was that. I quickly read the slides and felt better, went back to bed, got some nookie lol and drifted off.

I agree 100% with Jiffz, you can't declare a bed time and go then, only to get frustrated if you can't sleep. Go to bed when you are tired!

I don't really have trouble sleeping unless I am stressed.

I find a session working the bag/banging some weights releives tension, releases endorphins(sp) and helps sleep...
Old 27-07-07, 11:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Aye i have the same problem. When the gf is staying over i cant sleep. We will be laying in bed and she will be passed out but i can just lay there. Unless im coming home from work then im like SSSSK asleep.
Old 27-07-07, 12:59 PM
OC3D Elite

When I were young I used to stay up nights in a row on purpose, online gaming and what-not. ^.~

These days I can sleep anytime of the day. And when I sleep u could slap me about and I`d not move.

If I stay up all night now I feel it in the morning, and through the day.

It does screw u`r body timing around mind doing this sorta thing. Takes ages to get into society`s routine after that.

Old 27-07-07, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
When I were young I used to stay up nights in a row on purpose, online gaming and what-not. ^.~
I've been doing that quite a bit lately, lan-ing in a mates garage (went 36hours the other weekend before going to sleep) and pretty much 5days in a row stayed up 'till daft-o'clock playing Counter strike...

...more than likely my body clock is super messed up, but its always took me a few hours to get to sleep anyway.
Old 27-07-07, 01:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Apparently I always fall asleep before my missus, not long after I put my head on the pillow I'm out. I have this odd thing when falling asleep with the missus, when on the thin line between conciousness and unconciousness I have 1 bad twitch! I may do this while alone, but obviously it is more noticeable when I'm kicking/shoulder barging someone else :rotfl:
Old 27-07-07, 01:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I do it becasue i cant sleep at night. Im like my dad, up at night, sleep by day. Im so glad i dont have a regular 8-5. (More like 9pm-2am hehe)
Old 27-07-07, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

ahhh.......sleep problem eh?

i've researched this till my teeth bleed....

i've got insomnia for the past 5 years, im not able to sleep for more than 3hrs a day, and will wake up every 45mins-1hr even if i do fall asleep.

i've been taking sleeping pills for about 2 years, and have made my GP stopped giving me more due to how much i take.

zolpidem 10mg, 1 per night........i take 4-5 per night.

my GP was shocked, and said im not allowed anymore, none what-so-ever, and told me to go get help from sleep clinic or goto a 'shrink'.

my best advice to anyone who cant sleep for whatever reasons....

have some static noise going on the background, fan, AC, PC(i have 2 PC in my bedroom, always on 24/7)

goto bed at the same time every night, if you cant fall asleep within 30mins, get up, do something for 10-15mins, then go back to bed untill you do fall asleep.

get up at the same time everyday, regardless of how tired you are, regradless of if theres anything to do, just get up and dont go back to bed.

during the day, force yourself to do some sports, you can go ride a bike, run for miles, goto a gym.......just anything that can last a hour or two.

dont eat within 3hrs of bed time.

do not sleep during the day regardless of how tired you are.

eat things that are light and fresh, ie, no kebab, fish&chips, mixed grilled etc etc.

do not use alcohol.

do not have anything in your bedroom that can give you things to do........ie, if you are a student on summer holiday, do not have your PC in your room so you can play games.....

i'll list that for now, since those are the hardest things to do for the average insomnian, lol

a very important point, is to have your bedroom VERY dark(or very dim if you are scared of pitch black rooms), VERY quiet(static noise for others) and VERY BORING! meaning theres nothing eles to do in the room apart from sleep.

good luck!
Old 27-07-07, 02:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='weihk'

a very important point, is to have your bedroom VERY dark(or very dim if you are scared of pitch black rooms), VERY quiet(static noise for others) and VERY BORING! meaning theres nothing eles to do in the room apart from sleep.

good luck!
I resorted to red lighting.

Old 27-07-07, 04:36 PM
OC3D Elite

I sleep during the day, so light dosent bother me at all now. I do agree with something though, have some noise going on. I cant stand crashing at peoples houses when its extremely quiet. I feel like im gonna wake somebody up when i roll over.