Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 05-07-07, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Sanding your li-li... Updated.

Is the aluminium treated i.e. anodised? It looks like it is just brushed alu but I'm not sure.

I have scratches, one spot is quite bad, and I'll be needing to sand.

I read that some cases require quite a harsh grit say 300 to get the clear coat or anodise(?) off, followed by 1000, 1500, 2000.

Also, I saw a picture of one guy with a drill, the drill bit was some sort of polishing tool and he basically just went for it... No prep and the result was nice!

Cheers

Old 05-07-07, 11:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
black lili's are brushed anodized and the silver lili's are just brushed untreated alu.
Old 05-07-07, 11:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='FragTek'
black lili's are brushed anodized and the silver lili's are just brushed untreated alu.
Cool, so if I sand the worst of the scratches out, then use the mystery drill bit (picture above) then I'm all good...

Anyone care to guess what that drill bit is, or do you think it is just a generic polishing wheel from a hardware store. Also, reckon I might use some polish too to get a nice finish...
Old 05-07-07, 11:19 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Errmmm yeah might work.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for you ruining your case.
Old 05-07-07, 11:24 AM
OC3D Elite

Speaking from experience on a brushed alu Silverstone case: sanding will not help you.

As soon as you start sanding that anodised surface, it will look patchy, the 'brushed' effect will start to disappear and you'll end up with a trash looking case.

If you want to make you li li look sexy again, consider totally rubbing down the case back to the bare aluminium and then getting some metal polish to bring it to a shine. A good few days work and you'll have a bling-bling chromed out lian li.
Old 05-07-07, 11:42 AM
OC3D Elite

I thought we'd established li-li brushed alu isn't anodised... Is it?

Basically, the front is scratched, that is how I got it. I fancied buffing the case up to a morror shine. IF it is anodised I need to harshly sand it first.

I've seen many examples and techniques of how to acheive this finish and I'm confident about how to do it.

Just not sure about the anodised bit. As far as i'm concerned the case is ruined after I attacked it with a jig saw after a few afternoon beers. I'm on a recue mission as money is becoming tight. Booooo
Old 05-07-07, 12:16 PM
The Webmaster

he was just talking about the brushed effect looking patchy, which it will unless you do the whole panel, which you sound like you are doing. so sounds like all is ok?

easy way to double check if it's annodised if you have already cut it.. does the cut edge match the outside?
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!

SPS : Apparently they bend if you sit on them in your back pocket - which fucking spasticated mother fucker puts a phone in their back pocket
Old 05-07-07, 12:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
I thought we'd established li-li brushed alu isn't anodised... Is it?

Basically, the front is scratched, that is how I got it. I fancied buffing the case up to a morror shine. IF it is anodised I need to harshly sand it first.

I've seen many examples and techniques of how to acheive this finish and I'm confident about how to do it.

Just not sure about the anodised bit. As far as i'm concerned the case is ruined after I attacked it with a jig saw after a few afternoon beers. I'm on a recue mission as money is becoming tight. Booooo
Silver or Black, all aluminium cases are anodized afaik. If ya don't anodise aluminium it'll start looking sh1te in no time.

^ Treated vs Untreated in Salt Water,
Old 05-07-07, 12:25 PM
OC3D Elite

That bit looks like its just a dense wire brush attachment. I use one too scrub rust of stuff. I would have thought it would have been a bit too harsh for your purpose.
Old 05-07-07, 12:39 PM
OC3D Elite

@ SuB - you got it, I'm doing the whole panel, well case now! Sorry if I wasn't clear!

@ Jim - I'm not planning on getting any salt water near my rig, hopefully it won't oxidise... Hmmm. Did a bit of research here, it shouldn't if I follow one technique I saw which will take me HOURS! Oh well...

@ Ham - I thought it might be wire but it looks a bit beige, leading me to beleive it is maybe tough nylon?

At least I know where I stand with the anodised thing - I need to strip it back. I plan to cut a window of some sort in the side so that will give me some alu to experiment on.

Thank you all for your input.