Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 16-05-07, 07:18 PM
OC3D Crew

can I just jump in here and say something ( I may get sacked for this)

Swiftech MCP655

basically a D5 with a Swiftech sticker on and *cough* a lot cheaper * cough*

I'll sit back and wait for my P45 in the morning.....

Old 16-05-07, 07:26 PM

Aye I have a swifttech one
Old 16-05-07, 09:05 PM

Just posted a wanted thread on the hexus forums for a swiftech D5

EDIT: Just found the XSPC DC1000 Pump, looks a bit too much like a Hydor for my liking though, anyone used one here before ?

Ah...: "in DOOMPC's waterblock roundup an XSPC DC1000 pump was used which is most likely a Hydor L25. While this pump's flow-rate is around 1000l/h it's Height (pressure) is very low at 1.35 m/Height. The DDC-1 specifies a 3.7m/Height."

Guess Im gonna have to save up some money and get a Swiftech D5
Old 16-05-07, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Pyr0'
the DDC & D5 pumps are the most popular

i'm using a D5 with the speed set to lvl 5 and i find it quiet

a lot of people say the DDC with a custom top is the best performer...

but there is some debate on the reliability when used with a custom top, since the different top is allowing the pump to run outside of it's intended spec

both DDC and D5 are 12V pumps and just connect to the PSU using a molex, so they just turn on with the PC
WRONG. According to Alex (aka petra, one of the owners of petras tech shop), LAING (the company that MAKES DDC pumps) made their own modded tops that run with higher flow, so the 20% extra current drawn should not be a problem, assuming laing knows what they're doing.
Old 17-05-07, 06:28 PM

What about the Koolance RP-1000SL pump and reservoir ?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22..._-_Silver.html

My mate has one that he needs to get rid of, says £50, that sound like a deal ? It's a Laing/DangerDen/Whatever DDC pump aswell I think.
Old 17-05-07, 06:55 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='serialk11r'
WRONG. According to Alex (aka petra, one of the owners of petras tech shop), LAING (the company that MAKES DDC pumps) made their own modded tops that run with higher flow, so the 20% extra current drawn should not be a problem, assuming laing knows what they're doing.
how is it wrong if there is a lot of debate over the reliability???

and was there any need to be so childish and write "WRONG" in large capital letters lol

i wasn't even talking about the extra current drawn... i was talking about the extra wear and tear on the internals such as the impeller etc.

a friend of mine went through two of them within a few weeks of eachother, and IMHO the laing D5's/Swiftech MCP655's have shown themselves to be more reliable pumps

Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R

3x4GB GSkill Ripjaws PC3-12800

AMD HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC

Asus Xonar DX

Crucial C300, Vertex1, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's

Corsair AX850

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Old 17-05-07, 08:24 PM

Aye I agree with Pyr0 - I don;t know one person who's D5 has gone but I know a load of people who's DDC has
Old 20-05-07, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
Aye I agree with Pyr0 - I don;t know one person who's D5 has gone but I know a load of people who's DDC has
Okay I don't want to crap this forum with XS links and crap, but on XS I counted several broken D5s.

If LAING (the company that MAKES the pump) makes a top (yes they made it) similar to petra's/alphacool's which also made the pump spin at higher speed, draw more power, etc. then why would it be just Petra's top or alphacool tops causing the problem?

And Sprite, that's the DDC 10 watter pump. For 50 euros...well its like getting the pump with a free cheap res add on and some fancy LCD thingy.
Old 20-05-07, 03:26 PM

Yes of course some pumps will break, tis the nature of mechanics for some to break. However, DDC's have been breaking all over the place whereas you don't see anywhere near as many D5's breaking

Basically I see it as a design fault in the DDC's - manufacturers should run their pumps at the listed specs and then let 3rd party's decide to add-on mods.
Old 20-05-07, 04:50 PM
OC3D Elite

I think a lot of the modded top failures are due to not doing it up tight enough. The seal between the bowl of the DDC and the top of the magnet / electronics enclosure is crap and there are little holes in the plastic all around the O ring. I'm sure many many people have had water seep into the electronics or under the pump, from where it can also short things out.

This can cause the same sort of symptoms as a burnout so im sure a lot of people wouldn't realize.