Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 22-04-07, 04:36 AM
OC3D Elite

Haha there will be some fruit destruction with this.

PV, for my larger design a pressurized injector, probably using 200psi worth of co2 might be used. For the first few involving pennys and tiny aluminum slugs I think a spring load will suffice.

Send me your food.
Old 22-04-07, 05:15 AM
OC3D Elite

One of my main concerns is the amount of power in these capacitors. 16 Joules is deadly. Much less a few hundred. I want to be able to both power up the capacitors (thus my 24V transformer + diode bridge + capacitors to smooth power supply) and drain the bank without firing the gun. But I dont know exactly how I might see a change in the power of the capacitor. Would hooking up a multimeter show an increasing voltage to 24v as I charge? And decreasing as it discharges? Could I wire up a switch to a bunch of resistors or the like to discharge the capacitors? As for firing the gun, I'd imagine I'd want to isolate it before firing, as in disconnect it from the power supply?

Also for future bigger builds, a voltage doubler out of a 110VAC should give me 220VDC or so. Or more with a voltage quadrupler etc.

Send me your food.
Old 22-04-07, 08:36 PM
OC3D Elite

LOL Nol me & some guys did this a while back ... guckin rails keept givin us gyp !!! in the end we just built some coilguns I wld love to go back and finish the rail someday

|lookee here for coilgun info|
|Available Here|

Got an Ipod? :: |Check This Out|

Isabelle Loves OC3D :: |THIS MUCH|

Old 22-04-07, 09:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Heh done a coil gun, as well as a electromagnetic accelerator (sorta like a coil gun), What sorta problems did you encounter?

Send me your food.
Old 22-04-07, 09:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='NoL'
Heh done a coil gun, as well as a electromagnetic accelerator (sorta like a coil gun), What sorta problems did you encounter?
did not do a rail gun ... just the coil

we (there was 3 of us) weren't that trusting in out metal fab skilz (seriously the rails are/wer a terrible state we dint even bother/obtain most of the electricals may have the schematics on an old puter i cld dig em up for u if u need em -- or ill find to orig site we adapted them from) so we decided it would be best to stop before we lost a limb/got cooked

the coil was a 'little' thing bout the size of a keyboard (mounted on a pice of ply) beats the hell outta a bb gun
|Available Here|

Got an Ipod? :: |Check This Out|

Isabelle Loves OC3D :: |THIS MUCH|

Old 22-04-07, 10:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Heh for thes small ones I'm going to do aluminum. Then copper or brass, and finally silver plated copper if I do 1+KJ.

Send me your food.
Old 23-04-07, 03:25 AM
OC3D Elite

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9204&rd=1&rd=1

Bingo!

Send me your food.
Old 23-04-07, 08:46 AM

Heh NoL you are crazy.

But don't worry, you're making me seriously consider doing something somewhat similar. Although I have quite a few extra barriers in my way...
Old 23-04-07, 08:47 AM

Not bad mate, pretty cheap
Old 23-04-07, 11:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Catch 22 there, want to build something to destroy barriers, but you have barriers in the way :P

Send me your food.