Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 25-03-07, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Vista and XP temps

I found something pretty intriguing and wonder if you have also noticed this on your system (for those with Vista/XP dual system).

I am using Everest Ultimate to monitor the temps on my PC in both Vista and XP. I was surprised to see that the CPU and HD temps are 3 to 4C lower in Vista than in XP, and 1 to 2C lower for the GPU and board temps.

CPU Vista: 40/41C

CPU XP: 44/46

HD Vista: 30/31C

HD XP: 36C

GPU Vista: 40/41C

GPU XP: 43C

Board Vista: 40C

Board XP: 43C

Looks like Vista was kind of optimized concerning power consumption/temps etc... all in one it's pretty good indeed

Oh and it's pretty cool Everest Ultimate 2007 comes with a vista toolbar gadget so you can have your temps/voltage etc... right there

2x Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 SLI, Asus VS238 LED monitor

Old 25-03-07, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='youpla'
I found something pretty intriguing and wonder if you have also noticed this on your system (for those with Vista/XP dual system).

I am using Everest Ultimate to monitor the temps on my PC in both Vista and XP. I was surprised to see that the CPU and HD temps are 3 to 4C lower in Vista than in XP, and 1 to 2C lower for the GPU and board temps.

CPU Vista: 40/41C

CPU XP: 44/46

HD Vista: 30/31C

HD XP: 36C

GPU Vista: 40/41C

GPU XP: 43C

Board Vista: 40C

Board XP: 43C

Looks like Vista was kind of optimized concerning power consumption/temps etc... all in one it's pretty good indeed

Oh and it's pretty cool Everest Ultimate 2007 comes with a vista toolbar gadget so you can have your temps/voltage etc... right there
One of the things I noticed about Vista is that it seems to use the CPU's C1E function regardless of whether its turned on in the BIOS or not.

Check your CPU multiplier in CPU-Z under Vista to see if it's doing the same thing for you. You'll probably notice it fluctuating.
Old 25-03-07, 01:24 PM

Mine doesn't use C1E like Jims does, god knows whats going on there
Old 25-03-07, 03:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
Mine doesn't use C1E like Jims does, god knows whats going on there
I haven't even checked mine tbh, but from what i've read it happens on all Abit and Intel mobo's - not sure about other brands.