Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 20-03-07, 02:20 AM
OC3D Crew

Help with non-PC hardware. :P

I want to go back to the world of modding, and I need some pointers.

First of all I DO own a torch, so that's covered.

I'm looking into electric welding, but most of my work is with aluminum, copper and perhaps a bit of silver, so is electric welding too much?

Also I need a nice clean way to cut sheets of aluminum and silver, I'm not sure that a table saw will do the trick.

For the specific project I'm planning there is a need for a professional polishing tool (for a fresh layer of paint and mirroring metals).

BTW my old dremel is dead, do I really need one for the small details?

I'm thinking of buying electronic screwdrivers and drillers, maybe a good dremel would do both of these?

I have to mention I'm kinda on a low budget, so just recommend a type of tool, and I'll go and find one that I can afford.

Thanks!

Old 20-03-07, 12:44 PM
OC3D Elite

A decent dremel definitely a good idea. A cant really think of any way of cutting sheets of metal without a laser other than a fine bench saw or a Jigsaw with a really fine blade on. Both of which will still need filing afterwards.

By electric welding do you mean MIG welding? or soldering

Old 20-03-07, 01:03 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
A decent dremel definitely a good idea. A cant really think of any way of cutting sheets of metal without a laser other than a fine bench saw or a Jigsaw with a really fine blade on. Both of which will still need filing afterwards.

By electric welding do you mean MIG welding? or soldering
MIG is a type of electric welding (well according to this).
Old 20-03-07, 01:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Mig and Tig are pretty good, I prefer Tig but tbh the difference for what you're going to be doing with it is negligible (essentially you just want an arc welder). Another option is a spot welder, although you'd need an expensive one for aluminum. As for cutting aluminium, cheapest way is either tin snips or sheet shears, but personally I find a milling machine does the job best. Electronic drills are good, don't bother with electronic screw drivers though, waste of time.
Old 20-03-07, 01:47 PM
OC3D Elite

I have an electronic screwdriver but it really just saves time, plus the torque on it is so massive that i cant use it on anything remotely fragile. Mig welding would be your best bet mate, a spot welder for Alu, like phnom said would cost a bomb and usually requires some training and skill to produce anything presentable (same with TIG to a degree i think)

Old 20-03-07, 01:51 PM
OC3D Crew

So basically a MIG would do the job with both Alu and Cu?

I'm still looking for a way to cut sheets, and a polishing tool.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 20-03-07, 04:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Popo'
So basically a MIG would do the job with both Alu and Cu?

I'm still looking for a way to cut sheets, and a polishing tool.
Yep, although I'd usually use a different shield gas mix for aluminum compared to copper. Cutting sheets, as said, tin snips, shears or a jigsaw. Polishing can't just be done by one tool, generally you attack it first with an abrasive wheel (first a low grit, then a high grit) to remove scratches etc, and then use finer and finer buffer mops to polish it, (it's kinda like lapping, but with cotton ).
Old 20-03-07, 08:19 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Phnom_Penh'
Yep, although I'd usually use a different shield gas mix for aluminum compared to copper. Cutting sheets, as said, tin snips, shears or a jigsaw. Polishing can't just be done by one tool, generally you attack it first with an abrasive wheel (first a low grit, then a high grit) to remove scratches etc, and then use finer and finer buffer mops to polish it, (it's kinda like lapping, but with cotton ).
Yeah the cotton stuff is good for paint, but I thought perhaps there is a tool that can do both.