Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 12-03-07, 05:25 PM
nathan nathan is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Nagaru'
If it is real, and a natural phenomenon I don't think we should interfere humans are very good at screwing things up. If we get involved we will mess the whole system up, and then complain when it is getting too cold.
Take a look at other natural things;

Earth quakes; we now build buildings to survive earth quakes.

tsunami; We've built early warning systems

I know that these dont prevent, but it shows the human race can adapt.

I'd be getting worried if i lived in east america, as there could be a mega tsunami heading your way from the canaries in the near future.

__________________


Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-03-07, 05:28 PM
llwyd llwyd is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,726
those things are developments, not evolution, which is what we would need if the temperatures changed a lot
__________________
Just ate 5 Cadbury's Double Deckers in 30 minutes

Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-03-07, 11:19 PM
Nagaru Nagaru is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nathan'
Take a look at other natural things;

Earth quakes; we now build buildings to survive earth quakes.

tsunami; We've built early warning systems

I know that these dont prevent, but it shows the human race can adapt.

I'd be getting worried if i lived in east america, as there could be a mega tsunami heading your way from the canaries in the near future.
I have no problem with building things that survive natural disasters or warn us of them, but when they talk about pumping stuff into fault to try to stop earthquakes I think that is dumb.

@Rastalovich It is impractical to convert CO2 to only O2. When a fuel is burned the by products are mainly H2O and CO2, the energy released in such a chemical reaction is always less than the energy required to reverse the reaction. There are ways to do it, trees as an example, but you need a sorce of power that does not produce CO2 otherwise you are fighting a loosing battle.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 13-03-07, 01:17 AM
PP Mguire PP Mguire is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,249
Quote:
Take a look at other natural things;

Earth quakes; we now build buildings to survive earth quakes.

tsunami; We've built early warning systems

I know that these dont prevent, but it shows the human race can adapt.

I'd be getting worried if i lived in east america, as there could be a mega tsunami heading your way from the canaries in the near future.
This is what i was talking about. Let the Earth do its thing and we will adapt to w/e happens.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 13-03-07, 01:40 AM
MikeEnIke MikeEnIke is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nathan'
Take a look at other natural things;

Earth quakes; we now build buildings to survive earth quakes.

tsunami; We've built early warning systems

I know that these dont prevent, but it shows the human race can adapt.

I'd be getting worried if i lived in east america, as there could be a mega tsunami heading your way from the canaries in the near future.
Thank you sir for scaring me. That seems rather farfetched to me though. Half that volvano has to fall off for that to happen or something like that lol.
__________________
Intel C2D e6600 @ 3.6Ghz

G.Skill DDR2-800

Abit FP-IN9

BFG 8800GTS 630/1000

Seagate 360GB and 160GB SATA II 7200 RPM

Cooler Master iGreen 500w Power Supply
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 13-03-07, 04:41 PM
nathan nathan is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='MikeEnIke'
Thank you sir for scaring me. That seems rather farfetched to me though. Half that volvano has to fall off for that to happen or something like that lol.
indeed, last eruption it had, half the volcano slipped a few meters downwards, just waiting for the next eruption. Not trying to scare you or anything.

have a read here
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 13-03-07, 05:21 PM
Rastalovich's Avatar
Rastalovich Rastalovich is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Testing hardware somewhere
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Phnom_Penh'
I said the Earth's mass tiny compared to the Sun's, so any mass change of the earth will have no negligible effect on the orbit, as it's the Sun's gravity, not the earth's that keeps us going round the Sun. Changing the mass of the Sun will therefore effect the earths orbit, as the gravity of the sun is proportional to its mass. (another example is say if you drop a hammer and a feather in a vacuum, they both hit the ground the same time, as although they have different masses, the difference between them is negligible in comparison to the size of the earth).

The Sun makes up 99.8% of the mass in our solar system. Add the planets, and there's not a lot left, so it isn't going to get any bigger yet... It is however getting smaller as it burns up, and in about a billion years, the sun will be 10% hotter, and in 3.5 billion years, the oceans on earth will boil and it will be too hot to live on. A bit later than that maybe 7 billion years from now, the sun will become a red giant, and will swallow mercury, and will scorch earth and venus, but won't consume them because it's mass will decrease and they will move away from it due to the decreased gravity. Now there's global warming for you, but I don't think I'll be caring about it .

We don't.
To unconfused u, I said some1 would give u an arguement and proceded to demonstrate what would happen if the reverse were applicable, which is pretty much what u`r saying here.

Oh dear, if the Sun had no mass, we wouldn`t revolve about it

Also doesn`t it bother people that daylight savings times are adjusting all over the world. Some longer days, some shorter, almost as if parts of the earth`s surface face the sun at different stages to where they used to. Pretty much like an orbit change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Nagaru'
@Rastalovich It is impractical to convert CO2 to only O2. When a fuel is burned the by products are mainly H2O and CO2, the energy released in such a chemical reaction is always less than the energy required to reverse the reaction. There are ways to do it, trees as an example, but you need a sorce of power that does not produce CO2 otherwise you are fighting a loosing battle.
I aint no chemical genius, I only did physics. (and hence sometimes drop lines into arguements to cause a debate rather than prehaps believing them myself - that`s another fault of my teacher at the time)

But my emphasis was to eliminate the bad stuff (if u like), u can turn it into gold if it suits, but if some1 can do it - do it.

To my limited capacity in the thoughts of carbon, I was lead to believe that it`s particles are large enough to be filtered without too much of a process involved.

Something along the lines of a big mf catalyst being dragged through the bit beneath the atmosphere - u can use a kite, a balloon, I`d use a plane that caused less than the operation helped.

The resulting O2 fall as rain ? I have no idea.

Stephen Fry informs us that trees only convert 5% of the worlds co2, algae does the vast majority. How much u can read into that program I dunno, no1 ever stepped forward to say he was wrong.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 13-03-07, 06:20 PM
Phnom_Penh Phnom_Penh is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'

Oh dear, if the Sun had no mass, we wouldn`t revolve about it

Also doesn`t it bother people that daylight savings times are adjusting all over the world. Some longer days, some shorter, almost as if parts of the earth`s surface face the sun at different stages to where they used to. Pretty much like an orbit change.
Well ain't that a fact.

Well yeh, I'd guess the rotational speed of the earth will slow down over time, like it has with the moon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 13-03-07, 11:17 PM
Nagaru Nagaru is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
I aint no chemical genius, I only did physics. (and hence sometimes drop lines into arguements to cause a debate rather than prehaps believing them myself - that`s another fault of my teacher at the time)

But my emphasis was to eliminate the bad stuff (if u like), u can turn it into gold if it suits, but if some1 can do it - do it.

To my limited capacity in the thoughts of carbon, I was lead to believe that it`s particles are large enough to be filtered without too much of a process involved.

Something along the lines of a big mf catalyst being dragged through the bit beneath the atmosphere - u can use a kite, a balloon, I`d use a plane that caused less than the operation helped.

The resulting O2 fall as rain ? I have no idea.

Stephen Fry informs us that trees only convert 5% of the worlds co2, algae does the vast majority. How much u can read into that program I dunno, no1 ever stepped forward to say he was wrong.
I have only done the one college chemistry course but the way I learned it was that you can't "filter" a compound, you have to use a chemical reaction to split the compound apart, but this alway requires more energy. A catalyst is an interesting thought, but you would have to be careful because you would be left with an explosive mixture of oxygen and CO2. Once you had split the carbon and oxygen apart, you could turn the carbon into something different but it would be highly impractical, turning lead into gold isn't commercially viable.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 13-03-07, 11:22 PM
Toxcity Toxcity is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,969
Cor blimey!

It is rather intresting reading you lot nattering about the subject!

Im not even at school and I am learning loads!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 06:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.