Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 08-02-07, 12:57 PM

Running Hot

I have a thermaltake water cooling system with a front bay with flow indicator, which keeps stopping and clogging up but water still flows perfectly. the noth block, cpu is cooled and it cooled by 3 radiators. 1 small and 1 big twin radiator. I had a few problems where the supplied p4 pump failed and would not pump. since i had it replaced by an alphacool p6 pum with built in resevoir it has been more reliable. The problem i have is that it runs alot hotter since i upgraded to a powerful pump. used to be bout 18 degrees to 25 degrees on idle and 30 degrees under very heavy load, No hotter than 35 degrees. Now it runs at 30 idle and 40 under load. My processor is an AMD toledo 4400 939 socket. Is there anythink i can do to make it run cooler. Im in a themaltake kandalf case with 4 case fans. Another thing is when the pump starts up it clucks and clicks a few times then goes quiet.

Thanks in advance

Richard Chowns

Old 08-02-07, 01:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
The new pump probably dumps that much more heat in to the loop.

You need to get rid of the TT watercooling ASAP and upgrade to a much higher quality, hand assembled loop.
Old 08-02-07, 01:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Umm, no offence but id strip out the lot and get all alphacool stuff. NexXxos blocks and Blackice Rads. There much better performance than thermaltakes water systems and a good price.
Old 08-02-07, 01:34 PM

problem is at the moment got no money, need to improvise til i can afford better.
Old 08-02-07, 01:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Got more powerful fans lying around that you could put on the rad?

As frag said the heat dump from a decent pump will be larger than any TT pump. Your temps are quite acceptable though tbh.
Old 08-02-07, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Got more powerful fans lying around that you could put on the rad?

As frag said the heat dump from a decent pump will be larger than any TT pump. Your temps are quite acceptable though tbh.
i thought my temps were crap for watercooling. i aint got no better fans.
Old 08-02-07, 01:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Water can still only cool as low as the temperateure of the air around it. Its just much more efficent at it than air HSFs.
Old 08-02-07, 04:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Water can still only cool as low as the temperateure of the air around it. Its just much more efficent at it than air HSFs.
Ham Is correct! Your best and cheapest bet is to cool down the room!
Old 08-02-07, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

strip all blocks and clean......from what you've said, you used to have bits clogging up, maybe theres a chance your block has them bits inside and affecting your temps.

and, when you do come to a time where you are able to spend a bit more money, go for a better setup, ie, swiftech blocks, DDC pump and some better fans for your rads.

anyway, 35c isnt that much heat......not much chance of your CPU suddenly going pop at the moment.
Old 08-02-07, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think the temps themselves are a problem, it's the fact that you've changed to a "more powerful" pump and your temps have shot up 10 °C! I don't recognise the p4 and p6 pumps do you have links to them?

You say the flow indicator keeps stopping and clogging up, is there debris visible in the water? What about air bubbles, has your loop been fully bled of air?

Maybe your new pump can't cope with the restriction of 2 blocks and 2 radiators as well as your old model? Removing the single radiator might increase the flow rate and bring your temps down a bit (adding more radiators in the same loop can actually make your temps worse).

Just some ideas to think about...