Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 29-01-07, 11:09 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Jim you're a legend! Nice one for that. As for the booster, any way to change those 2 40's for one 80mm fan? Maybe mod the casing and stick a 120 in on top? Wishful thinking? My pc is on over 12hrs a day, everyday - f@h etc while I'm away and gaming etc when I get back, so the psu will be getting hot!

I'll have to get a googling to see if there are any other pelt psu's... I know meanwell do one but it is probable the same deal...

@Mark & Mullet big thank you for your input too
No problem at all mate....maybe you should invest in a phat 1kw unit?

Old 29-01-07, 12:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Why do you say that mate? Are you thinking he's looking at a 6/700w psu for £100 and a 320w booster psu for £50... Why not buy one beastly one?

Well, I'm not sure if that is what you are asking, or if what I am about to say is correct but I think a pelt has to have a seperate dedicated psu.

Although now you come to mention it, can I just get a big phat 1kw psu and power everything from that rather than having 2 psu's?
Old 29-01-07, 12:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Why do you say that mate? Are you thinking he's looking at a 6/700w psu for £100 and a 320w booster psu for £50... Why not buy one beastly one?

Well, I'm not sure if that is what you are asking, or if what I am about to say is correct but I think a pelt has to have a seperate dedicated psu.

Although now you come to mention it, can I just get a big phat 1kw psu and power everything from that rather than having 2 psu's?
Technically, if you bought something like the PCP&C 1kw single railed monster, then ye you could run a pelt from it. I certainly wouldn't try it on a multi-railed PSU unless you knew exactly what load your rig would be placing on each rail.

Personally I prefer the idea of two separate PSU's just in case things go wrong. I'd rather kill a £50 FSP and RMA it to the UK, than kill a £250 PCP&C and RMA it to the USA.
Old 30-01-07, 01:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Just read the review of the Silverstone ST85F.

You know my requirements are quiet and powerful. Well this seems to fit the bill - 850w (plenty of headroom for CF in the future) and the 135mm fan is 22db at full wack, pretty good if you ask me. I played the sample of the corsair 620w and it seems so much louder!

Do you feel this is a quality psu as it scored less than the corsair but is more suited to my requirements?

I may stick with the hiper until I make the jump from one r600 to two...

Appreciate all the help received so far
Old 30-01-07, 01:47 PM
OC3D Elite

The original Strider units had their flaws but I think this one is a big improvement. The 135mm fan helps keep it quiet, and the rail stability is acceptable. It's a shame that they got rid of the pots as the voltage could have been bumped up a tad to bring it spot on 12.00v under load, but realistically it makes little difference.

You may want to hang fire for my next review. Its the new 710w Enermax unit which also has a 135mm fan (afaik) and is modular. I think it arrived today, so PM me later tonight if you like and i'll give you my first impressions if you cant wait for the whole review

Quote:
Just read the review of the Silverstone ST85F.

You know my requirements are quiet and powerful. Well this seems to fit the bill - 850w (plenty of headroom for CF in the future) and the 135mm fan is 22db at full wack, pretty good if you ask me. I played the sample of the corsair 620w and it seems so much louder!

Do you feel this is a quality psu as it scored less than the corsair but is more suited to my requirements?

I may stick with the hiper until I make the jump from one r600 to two...

Appreciate all the help received so far
Old 31-01-07, 11:14 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm awaiting the results of the 710w Enermax psu.

However, I was looking at the specs of my current psu over at ST and it states that the Hiper Type-R is:

"One of the most SILENT Air Cooled PSU you will ever own! HPU-4B580 580w Fully Modular PSU. It features: A single 120mm red LED fan and 80mm fan 14db."

14db! This surely refers to idle and not load - admittedly it is not that loud under load but I wanted as quiet and powerful as possible as if I leave my pc on overnight in my room f@h then both cores are at 100% - does that actually stress the psu and cause the fan to spin up or am I being hypersensitive to noise? I don't want to shell out for a new pc that is noiser than my current one!

I would measure the noise myself but don't have the necessary equipment!

Just got a call to say the DFi arrived this morning! Woootage.
Old 31-01-07, 12:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Tbh most psus an't gonna keep you awake. My 480w type R was louder than llwyds 580w, and the Seasonic M12 i have now i can't here atall. Even with the 60mm fan.

Leaving a pc on folding isn't going to draw nearly as much load as the OC3D load tester.