Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 15-01-07, 09:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Car audio

Anybody know alot about car audio from here in the US? (dont know if its different in the UK)

Old 15-01-07, 09:11 PM

don't think it's much different mate

I know a fair bit about it (UK), used to play with some loud bits and pieces a while back (6000w+ ftw)
Old 15-01-07, 09:15 PM
OC3D Elite

FragTek used to have a pretty mean system in his old pimp mobile, talk to him .

Sony VAIO CS110E 14.1" :: Core 2 Duo T5800

3GB DDR2-800 :: 250GB HDD :: Intel Media Accelerator

HTPC

Gateway GT4024 :: Intel Pentium D 805 :: 1GB DDR2-667

700GB of Storage :: ATi Xpess200 :: Sharp AQUOS 32" 720p

Old 15-01-07, 09:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Alright well i just need to know, what do you guys prefer to use for power to a 1000watt amp from the altinator? 12g wire and a crossover or what?
Old 15-01-07, 09:40 PM

I used to use a secondary battery off of the cars alternator (replaced with an uprated version tho), and power it off 12v line from that

With power wires the beefier the better and I found that always getting one that was over-rated was far better, or you get ummm...fires
Old 15-01-07, 09:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Ok well he dosent have any room in his Blazer to put another battery. If we had enough money to buy cable i could possibly put another battery in the back, hook it up to the altinator as well (he has a better one than stock) and then just use a short cable to hook the amp up to the battery. Yet again, we dont have enough money to buy that much 12g cable. Any other ideas? I guess its a given to run with 12g cable, but wheres a good place to hook it up and do i need a crossover.
Old 15-01-07, 09:51 PM

What's the rating that the cable you've got i rated at? We tended to use high quality highly rated cable at least 200w over the top of spec of the amp

Can you not get some cable rated to cover ~1200w?
Old 15-01-07, 09:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Probably. This Monster Cable 12g is really thick. Bout as big as my thumb almost. When we get to frys ill take note of the ratings and buy 1200.
Old 15-01-07, 10:10 PM
OC3D Elite

first what amp is it? and are you talking about the power wires for the amp or speaker(crossover is for speakers)

Second 12ga is fine for the speaker but should NO WAY run any amp over 50Watts.

What size fuse does the amp have?

I have a REAL 880Watt amp and use 00 cable, a 2Ga may work but I like to be sure the current will get to the amp.

Also I would run the power wire to the BATT (also a fuse there too)

The alt really needs to be a 120AMPs or more and needs to have its power wire (wire fron the alt to the batt) made using a larger Ga wire. I used to use a seperate extra alternator to run my systems but now I just drop the Wattage to a more reasonable range.

I built a 250Watt system that was crazy loud. You just need to use efficient speakers.
Old 15-01-07, 10:18 PM

Aye my memory is a little hazy on details about what the actual wires were called/how they were rated but mine usually had a beefy old fuse and ran straight off of the +'ive of the battery/extra customised rear battery.

When we set up sound off or test cars we tended to use a couple of kits like these:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...?product=21594

Running off one/two car audio batteries that were fed off of a customised and uprated alternator

The fuse should be within 1metre (at least) of the actual battery too, and always find a safe earth

Get some EMI shielded RCA cables too and O˛ free wire as that really makes a difference

EDIT@

Something like this should do you ok:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...?product=21588