Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > Games

Old 06-01-07, 11:04 PM
OC3D Crew

spore (the game)

hey guys,

don't know if you've heard about this game.

Called Spore (as u might have guessed by the title)

lemme summarise it with a quote from IGN:

Quote:
From the very tiniest forms of life to the intergalactic level of existence, you are in control of life itself in this simulation game by Will Wright.

Beginning in the primordial ooze, players create a character from DNA that will grow, survive, and mate as it evolves from a single-celled organism to a fully-formed member of an establishing species.

As more and more creatures inhabit the world, and as evolution forms the future, your species will join herds, clans, even civilizations. The more advanced the creatures of the planet grow, the more complex the strife of survival becomes.

And while the player can continue gameplay in Spore at any level -- playing as a cell, as a wild creature, or as a civilized and organized society – players can also step even further out and play the game from the planetary or interstellar level, while also going online to connect worlds with other gamers.
if you have a spare 30 mins or so doing nothing, view this google vid that pretty much explains 99% of the game for you:

Code:
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(video_game)
the whole concept of the game blows me away.......looks freakin awesome.....so much so that for once i actually A) pre-ordered a game and bought it legally.

btw - for those who think this is boring and you won't check the links.......

YOU CAN BLOW UP!!!!!! AKA DEATH STAR BLOWING PLANETS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also u can abduct stuff, eat creatures, make the abducted creatures blow up cus uve placed them on a planet/moon without an atmosphere.....

'nuff said

but on a more serious note, this game is phenomenal, im not talking about the graphics. im talking about the coding behind it. This guy and his team are exploring new avenues of coding.

for example they will take a 64kb "game" or file (whatever you want to call it), and make an entire 3d game out of it.

basically it relies on your processor and ram to actually render these things as you go....

its an amazing concept, and i have a severe lack of knowledge about it, if you wish to do some research about it, theres alot on the wikipedia entry, and also alot of it on google (just search spore and you will find more than enough on the front page)

Old 06-01-07, 11:43 PM
OC3D Elite

I watched an interview with its creator. He is the guy that created the Sims.. He seemed really excited about this game..

I guess I better build a comp and than leave it in 1 piece so I will be able to play these good games.
Old 06-01-07, 11:50 PM
OC3D Elite

lol yea there was a thread made about a year ago about this game, very interesting and original idea, looking forward to getting my hands on it for sure

Old 07-01-07, 08:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='markkleb'
I watched an interview with its creator. He is the guy that created the Sims.. He seemed really excited about this game..

I guess I better build a comp and than leave it in 1 piece so I will be able to play these good games.
I read that somewhere and seen a picture of the guy, that has him looking like a ~30 year old BillGates - now if they`re talking about some1 who came up with the idea of the Sims as we know it today.. US soap type characters walking around with green triangles on their heads - then ok.

But if they`re talking about creating the Sim genre, he simply isn`t old enough, he may`ve picked up the ball and ran with it, but I can remember a ~40 year old guy with dark beard and stuff from the 80s c+vg magazines, hell I think he was like a Jeff Minter type - maybe it`s his dad ?!?!?!!??

Old 07-01-07, 05:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
I read that somewhere and seen a picture of the guy, that has him looking like a ~30 year old BillGates - now if they`re talking about some1 who came up with the idea of the Sims as we know it today.. US soap type characters walking around with green triangles on their heads - then ok.

But if they`re talking about creating the Sim genre, he simply isn`t old enough, he may`ve picked up the ball and ran with it, but I can remember a ~40 year old guy with dark beard and stuff from the 80s c+vg magazines, hell I think he was like a Jeff Minter type - maybe it`s his dad ?!?!?!!??
He's talking about this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Wright

He's the creator of the Sim series games (Sim City, Sim Copter, Sim Safari, The Sims, etc)

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 07-01-07, 05:34 PM
OC3D Elite

That actually looks more like it, I`m thinking the other picture is an oddity.

Old 07-01-07, 05:40 PM

Spore looks awesome, think I did a news article a while back with an hour long vid linked in it
Old 07-01-07, 06:57 PM
OC3D Elite

It's going to be a definite buy for me. I can't wait to play it.

Old 07-01-07, 07:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='WC Annihilus'
He's talking about this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Wright

He's the creator of the Sim series games (Sim City, Sim Copter, Sim Safari, The Sims, etc)
Thanks WC Annihilus, thats the guy. he seemed really cool in the interview.

It was on the Colbert Report. Really funny.

I really love when there is passion behind someones creation (not just driven by $$)
Old 18-01-07, 10:52 PM

This game is going to be amazing when it comes out, when and if it actually comes out!