Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 16-01-11, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy7801 View Post

Also I like that no one has suggested using ati card doesnt support cuda and both those programs love the cuda
Scubasage said he had 2 460's in SLI...that's the only reason I didn't suggest a brand. I assumed he was going to stick with the mean green if he was going to add a GPU to what he already has. Physx is good and there are still too many problems with lucid.

I thought It was 1155 that doesnt support cuda...now I'm gonna have to do more multitasking grrr Lol

Old 16-01-11, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy7801 View Post

its not realistic suggestion tbh ati don't really have any foot hold in that market
Actually...ATI was destroying Nvidia in the workstation market pre-2010, from what little information I've been able to gather. Sure, Nvidia had the highest end stuff covered, but ATI had complete control of the low, mid and lower high range stuff. Similar how AMD beats intel in the low range CPU sector. Now Nvidia is competing more, but if anything I'd say they were even atm.

I don't particularly care if I have a Nvidia or ATI workstation card. Whichever is the better one and is less of a hassle to use. the Quadro ones would probably cause less problems since I'm already using 2 GTX 460s, but if the Firepro is better and doesn't cause problems, then I'm getting the Firepro.
Old 16-01-11, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasage View Post

I'll say it again in case you missed it in my reply above.

I'll clarify that. In terms of gaming, you lose maybe 2-3 FPS, if anything at all and that can also easily be attributed to normal variance. It only really affects benchmarks, and even then, the loss is something around 5%. Needless to say, IDC if it's running at 16x or 8x.

This thread offers some decent examples and links to other reviews on the subject of 16x or 8x

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306641-33-gtx580-slot

As for spending all that money, those workstation GPUs I listed are in the $150-200 CAD range, hardly a ton of money.

I'll also repeat what I want answered:

whether or not I should get one of those entry level workstation cards or just stick with my SLI 460s (as in, will my SLI 460s be strong enough to handle Maya and Zbrush, despite crippling drivers for those programs), and if I do get the workstation card, can I run all 3 without there being software issues (similar to how having 2 cards in SLI and a different card as a PhysX card doesn't have any problems, but if the third card isn't specified as PhysX, it causes problems), or if there are software issues, would they be fixable by using a second monitor for the workstation card.
Asked and already answered in earlier reply

I would stick with your SLI then. If you purchase a workstation graphics card and stick it in dual or triple SLI with other GPU's your taking a big performance hit that doesn't substantiate spending all that money on a workstation GPU IMHO. Yes they will work as long as they're listed as double or triple SLI or crossfire whatever configuration you run them in. Just stick with one brand as I'm sure you're aware of by now.

END QUOTE

To clarify

In your original post I didnt see any thing about entry level or budget workstation GPU. Sorry, when someone mentions workstation GPU I assume their going to do some real work with it ($600.00 and up) and not just dabble,my mind doesn't start at the bottom of the heap as those are really no better than your 460.

If your looking at one of those it's really not worth it. What you have now is better than one of those cheapo cards IMHO
Old 16-01-11, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post

Asked and already answered in earlier reply

I would stick with your SLI then. If you purchase a workstation graphics card and stick it in dual or triple SLI with other GPU's your taking a big performance hit that doesn't substantiate spending all that money on a workstation GPU IMHO. Yes they will work as long as they're listed as double or triple SLI or crossfire whatever configuration you run them in. Just stick with one brand as I'm sure you're aware of by now.

END QUOTE

To clarify

In your original post I didnt see any thing about entry level or budget workstation GPU.

If your looking at one of those it's really not worth it. What you have now is better than one of those cheapo cards IMHO
Well then, you should probably read the entire post. it says right at the end:

Quote:

If it helps, I was looking at the quadro 600/FX 580 or the Firepro V4800. Yeah, not very good, but my budget is pretty tight atm and I would need the card ASAP. Any advice?
I mention that they are budget cards, and a quick little 2 sec search would have confirmed that, without me having to tell you.

Also

Quote:

Yes they will work as long as they're listed as double or triple SLI or crossfire whatever configuration you run them in. Just stick with one brand as I'm sure you're aware of by now.
As workstation cards, they CANNOT be run in SLI or Crossfire with my GTX 460s, even IF my GTX 460s could do 3-way SLI (which they can't), so I don't see the reason why you would point that incorrect piece of information TWICE. There was a reason I ignored that little tidbit. Nothing you have said has answered my questions.

As for it not being worth it, given your previous responses, I cannot make my decision based on your suggestion, hence I am still asking for answers, hoping someone with more experience will be able to give a little guidance. I already know that gaming cards are technically much more powerful than workstation cards, but the drivers for both are optimized very differently. Workstation cards, despite being weaker, usually destroy similar "tier" gaming cards for doing workstation tasks. I don't mean destroy like, 20% better. I mean destroy as in close to 3-4x better. However, the prices on those high tier workstation cards are also much higher. The drivers make a HUGE difference, which is why I also mention it in my original post.

Quote:
Pretty much the biggest difference between workstation and gaming cards are the drivers. Gaming cards are much more powerful, but have much less support and their drivers aren't optimized for workstation programs. I've heard there are modded drivers that can help alleviate this issue, but I would like some imput from some people who have had to do the same, or something similar.
Note the part about the modded drivers? That would be my option if I didn't buy a workstation card and it turned out that the GTX 460s can barely handle Maya and Zbrush (talking like <20 FPS on smaller polygonal counts)
Old 16-01-11, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Lol...OK, you just reached the point where you have gone way over my head with what little knowledge of workstation GPU's I have (which I stated in reply)

Tried to help what little I could, sorry it was insufficient. I'll stop taking up thread space for some one a lot more knowledgeable to help you. Good luck with your search
Old 16-01-11, 02:59 AM

Thanks for trying man, here's hoping there is someone on the forums with some answers
Old 16-01-11, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for trying man, here's hoping there is someone on the forums with some answers
No problem...Good luck.

I hope you find someone that makes me look like the dumb ass that I am when it comes to this topic Lol
Old 16-01-11, 01:30 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:

Actually...ATI was destroying Nvidia in the workstation market pre-2010, from what little information I've been able to gather. Sure, Nvidia had the highest end stuff covered, but ATI had complete control of the low, mid and lower high range stuff. Similar how AMD beats intel in the low range CPU sector. Now Nvidia is competing more, but if anything I'd say they were even atm.

I don't particularly care if I have a Nvidia or ATI workstation card. Whichever is the better one and is less of a hassle to use. the Quadro ones would probably cause less problems since I'm already using 2 GTX 460s, but if the Firepro is better and doesn't cause problems, then I'm getting the Firepro.
Not high end computations market, work station but things maya nvidia are market dominator's since most people who use this shell out for things like Tesla's.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved

Nicolo Machiavelli
Old 16-01-11, 02:39 PM

Except that Tesla is way to expensive for anyone who isn't in a high paying job using those programs. For students and lower end jobs, they have to turn to Quadros or Firepros.
Old 16-01-11, 11:49 PM
OC3D Crew

Yup but there's large profit margin in it also companies by more than students do.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved

Nicolo Machiavelli