Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Platforms - Other

Old 22-12-10, 06:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post

Part of the fun is putting in the time and research.
For who? you maybe?

It's just utterly amazing how many narrow minded people there are in the world. Just because you see certain things in a certain way it doesn't mean every one else does mate. Horses for courses. If not we would all eat the same thing, wear the same clothes ETC. If I can understand that why can't others?

Old 22-12-10, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post

Part of the fun is putting in the time and research. And for me the most fun is finding those awesome components, at the sweet spot price range. When its all built and said and done, you wont resent the computer thats sitting next to you because it costed you a heap. I don't know, I have a tighter budget than most, this recession is killer. But hunting down bargains is the part I enjoy most. Your final product is a computer that is YOURS...thats worth more than an alien on the case imo.
I build my own PCs because I like to tinker and the smell of new parts is exhilarating. I hate the shopping part, but I do see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

For who? you maybe?

It's just utterly amazing how many narrow minded people there are in the world. Just because you see certain things in a certain way it doesn't mean every one else does mate. Horses for courses. If not we would all eat the same thing, wear the same clothes ETC. If I can understand that why can't others?
I have friends who wanted good gaming PCs, but had no idea where to start nor did they want to research it. Picking out the best parts, shopping around, and doing the actual build doesn't interest them in the slightest. They looked at prebuilts and a few almost bought because that was right for them. I ended up building them all machines for just the cost of the parts and they couldn't be happier. I got my jollies by messing about with new hardware, and they got to save money plus get excellent gaming computers without having to do any research. Not everyone though has a techie for a friend, so an Alienware or other high end PC will do the trick nicely.

3DMark11 - P10045 | X3680
Old 22-12-10, 06:37 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

For who? you maybe?

Ok maybe I should of said These are the parts I enjoy: and continued with my post. Narrow minded? Narrow minded would be assuming I think everyone is like me. Those are the parts I enjoy, not trying to force them on anyone lol. Lets have a breather. Just my opinion piece.
Corsair GS600
XFX Double D 7950 OC
MSI P67A-G43
Crucial M4 128gb
Seagate Barracuda 1tb storage
Old 22-12-10, 07:02 PM

Well try to see the bigger picture dude. I'm not having a go, but millions upon millions of sales can't be wrong surely?

I've had three now. First one was pre built because I just couldn't be bothered to shop around for a pile of parts (was doing hydrotherapy for a broken back) and the other two I built myself. There are loads of circs in which an Alienware is a good choice tbh. They're not just for people who have no clue and tbh? they're about as good as you're going to get if you just want one built and done (and yes, that does include all those places that build gaming PCs because those are all over priced too really).

As I said above though I am yet to see a chassis as beautifully made and heavy and solid as an Alienware. And believe me I speak from twenty years of building PCs.

I mean tbh? I can't stand all of those silly little 'toy' PCs. You know the ones? the micro ATX Dell specials for £250. The thing is, they have a purpose and about 80% of the market share when it comes to computers. At least four of my family members own PCs like that because that is what they want, need, and wanted to pay. So again, would be a bit silly to have the opinion that everything is poo apart from one you build yourself.

I built a PC recently. TBH? it was a pile of dread. What if something doesn't work and I have this new platform where I am unable to cross test the board ram and CPU? what if I sell my old PC and this one packs up? what if I make a mistake and break something?

If you look around the forum you will find just as many tales of misfortune and mistakes than you will sucessful builds. Just a couple of days ago some one bent their CPU pins and now their PC is buggered. Had that been an Alienware? 48 hour pickup, usually sorted within a week. As it stands that dude will probably have to strip the rig down and RMA both the CPU and board to get it working. Hassle mate, all hassle.
Old 22-12-10, 07:19 PM
OC3D Crew

While I am sorry to hear about your back, wondering how its doing now by the way? The people who find their way to this site must have some sort of passion about their systems, whether it is on the hardware or software side. I guess your right when you say some people want to buy a computer, plug it in and be off. But I don't think those are the types of people here we are addressing. Alienware does have some good looking cases, and I've had several Dells as they have great customer service. But my thought for someone thinking of building their own. Just give it a go, try it, see if its worth it for you or not. For some people its all about the end product of having a computer that boots, for some people its the journey to that point. Some people may hate the shopping part as hmmblah said, but he enjoys the assembly, and unboxing is fun lol. For some they like to choose the parts, but dread the assembly. Lol I lost my point somewhere in this quagmire. Umm hope your back is ok!
Corsair GS600
XFX Double D 7950 OC
MSI P67A-G43
Crucial M4 128gb
Old 22-12-10, 07:35 PM

Yeah back is sorted now that was over three years ago (hint : never floor a turbo powered car in reverse without looking where you're going first )
Old 22-12-10, 07:39 PM
OC3D Crew

Ohh, and what was the said car?
Corsair GS600
XFX Double D 7950 OC
MSI P67A-G43
Crucial M4 128gb
Old 22-12-10, 08:02 PM

Tiburon. I lived with a friend who worked nights and he arrived home in the middle of the night. Usually he didn't get home until I had left but this one morning he got out early. I was half asleep, jumped into the car and took off up the driveway backwards and didn't see his Chevy [s]tank[/s] Malibu at the other end. *bang*. Two compressed vertibrae, one with a break. Didn't help that I wasn't strapped in and leaning forward. Entire impact went down my spine.

Still, all sorted now. Still get the occasional back ache and have to roll out of bed onto my hands and knees but that's what you get for being an idiot
Old 22-12-10, 11:08 PM

The only prebuilt machine you should ever want is a laptop. Build it yourself. More performance and you can actually trouble shoot your own stuff instead of talking to India.
Old 24-12-10, 02:06 PM
OC3D Elite

This is a Pros and Cons of getting an Alienware System, if I miss anything tell me and I'll edit the post or something.

Pro:

*The case (subjective)

*Light effects (subjective)

*Less hassle (No searching up parts or troubleshooting to get system setup)

*Less time consuming (No build time)

*Also unlikely that you'll mess and break something vital (ie. snapping a pin while putting in your CPU)

Cons:

*Price (They are more expensive because you need to pay someone to build and test the system)

*Less options (You are limited to the options that they give you)

*Warranty (Dell give you 1 year warranty, certain parts such as RAM typically have lifetime, also depends on the brand)

*Locked out of BIOS (So no overclocking)

Reason why companies such as Dell exist is to offer a service. This is supplying computers to people that are either don't know how to build a system and are intimidated by the idea or don't have the time. Alienwares costing more than building it yourself? Well no !!!! Sherlock, someone has to build the computer and test it and they need to be paid don't they? Although when it comes to Alienware admittedly someone buy them for the case or the badge.

EDIT: A basic model Aurora from Alienware is amazingly cheap atm for some reason