Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 07-12-10, 05:37 PM
F-alienware F-alienware is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist
Posts: 0
Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex! View Post

Have had loads of problems with it, blocking programs that shouldn't be blocked and vice versa.
Better than not blocking things that should have been blocked eh?

Any way, when Zone Alarm was free you would have been a right plonkerknob to use WF any way.

Now days there isn't any point to WFW because routers do it all for you.

As for MSE? Don't under rate it. It has more money behind it, more research and more updates than ANY other AV I have used. It's completely stealthy and doesn't annoy the s**t out of me on a daily basis. It's also caught more virii than Avast and that used to be my weapon of choice.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-10, 09:47 PM
Bungral Bungral is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,385
I love my Avast and my daily "Your virus database has been updated" and any random time it likes...

My favourite is in the middle of the night when I've forgotten to turn the volume down.
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-12-10, 10:09 PM
lasher lasher is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungral View Post

I love my Avast and my daily "Your virus database has been updated" and any random time it likes...

My favourite is in the middle of the night when I've forgotten to turn the volume down.
know exactly what you mean ... had it for years now and it still scare the crap outta me!
__________________
Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.



Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-12-10, 11:06 PM
Rahu X Rahu X is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24
They have a setting for it to where you can turn of the voices and sounds.

I'd recommend Avast! over MSE any day, as it has better detection rates (last I checked) and many more features.

Not that MSE is a bad AV or anything. It's actually probably my next recommendation for a free AV. Well, that or Avira.

As for the subject at hand, if the code still worked, I might have (just might have) told my brother about this... (He uses Avast!)

I would use it for my own personal gain, but I'm already satisfied with Norton. (Especially since the newer versions, 2009+, offer 2nd to none protection WITHOUT being a resource hog like in the past)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-12-10, 10:19 AM
F-alienware F-alienware is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist
Posts: 0
Send a message via MSN to F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahu X View Post

I'd recommend Avast! over MSE any day, as it has better detection rates (last I checked) and many more features.
MSE detects Adware, Spyware, Malware and virii.

Just yesterday it caught a trojan.

I mean seriously, what OS gets targetted and attacked more than any other? Microsoft know this, hence why MSE was written.

It gets updated more often that any other AV simply because Microsoft hear about the virii first. It's also completely and totally free without clause or annoyance.

For example with Avast ! I would get a nag EVERY DAY at least twice to update to the new version with the stupid woman voice. At one point I got so sick of it coming up in the bottom right corner that I updated it, and the updated one simply didn't work for me. So I put the older one back on and then it pestered me every day to upgrade. This wouldn't have been so annoying but when in game it would bleed through the game itself and or cause the game to crash. That's not exactly stealth. MSE waits for a more appropriate time to tell you about it.

You've then got to register for a serial every year, which again is no problem but it does mean the software doesn't come without clause.

The only pain with MSE (and I emphasise only ) is that it can not be disabled at all. However, it's also not a resource pig so it doesn't really matter.

So yes, both are free. TBH both are as good as eachother (even though Avast ! carries another bug that doesn't auto update so you have to keep remembering to download the definitions yourself, where as MSE brings up the program window from time to time to remind you) but as I said before MSE is a lot more stealthy and out of your face. Even if you disable the sounds from Avast ! it still bleeds a box through your game.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-12-10, 03:23 AM
Rahu X Rahu X is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

MSE detects Adware, Spyware, Malware and virii.

Just yesterday it caught a trojan.

I mean seriously, what OS gets targetted and attacked more than any other? Microsoft know this, hence why MSE was written.

It gets updated more often that any other AV simply because Microsoft hear about the virii first. It's also completely and totally free without clause or annoyance.

For example with Avast ! I would get a nag EVERY DAY at least twice to update to the new version with the stupid woman voice. At one point I got so sick of it coming up in the bottom right corner that I updated it, and the updated one simply didn't work for me. So I put the older one back on and then it pestered me every day to upgrade. This wouldn't have been so annoying but when in game it would bleed through the game itself and or cause the game to crash. That's not exactly stealth. MSE waits for a more appropriate time to tell you about it.

You've then got to register for a serial every year, which again is no problem but it does mean the software doesn't come without clause.

The only pain with MSE (and I emphasise only ) is that it can not be disabled at all. However, it's also not a resource pig so it doesn't really matter.

So yes, both are free. TBH both are as good as eachother (even though Avast ! carries another bug that doesn't auto update so you have to keep remembering to download the definitions yourself, where as MSE brings up the program window from time to time to remind you) but as I said before MSE is a lot more stealthy and out of your face. Even if you disable the sounds from Avast ! it still bleeds a box through your game.
Strange. When I installed Avast! on my brother's computer, I set it up to update automatically without asking him to and I even turned off the alerts that it did so it wouldn't annoy him (I only kept virus alerts on). I guess there must have been an update recently that caused a glitch or something... I mean, he hasn't complained once about the AV getting on his nerves or whatnot.

Again, I'm not saying MSE is complete and utter crap. I'm just saying that I'd recommend Avast! over MSE for most people, as it seems to have a bit more "power" in the prevention features than compared to MSE. For instance, Avast! has a P2P shield, which is very useful for those who use .torrent clients (like my brother). MSE does not. I'd also recommend Avast! more to the advanced users as well, as they can fully customize their protection levels, what file types/signatures to scan/skip, and a slew of other features. MSE is more for people who just want to download it, install it, and forget it.

It's entirely up to the user on what they want, and if they'd rather have MSE, then I have absolutely no problem with that. I won't rag on them and say that it's crap, because it's not. It's among the top 3 in my list for free AVs, so yeah. I don't have anything against it.

The only free AV I really don't like is AVG, because despite it's popularity, it is complete crap compared to MSE, Avira, and Avast!. And anyone who is using that should just go ahead and shoot themselves in the foot, because that's basically what they're doing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.