Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 27-11-10, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Jamsand
SAdly budget doesn't allow for a new CPU so for now the 920 must do, the GPU is already bought so that's kinda set in stone i did look at the gtx 470 and the 6870 but that 470 was at the time sitting at about £60 more for what was by reviews told to be a very minute performance boost. The 6870 I would have gotten over the 5850 if I was going to crossfire but for now only wanted a single card so the 5850 seemed like a better idea. Looking at the UTGARD though it;d fit alot comfier into the space I have but must go find some reviews.(really like the orange and white fans though lol)

Old 27-11-10, 03:29 PM
OC3D Elite

ah fair one mate.

there is a review on the utgard on hear
Old 27-11-10, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

THanks very much for all the help and suggestions
Old 27-11-10, 05:32 PM
The Guvnor

Utgard is a bloody good case dude you just have to make sure you plan the build. IIRC the 8pin cpu power needs to go though the cpu cut out before fitting the mobo to help keep things tidy.

The 1600 ram is fine and when you know what you are doing will hit 2000mhz anyways, but you wont want to attempt this untill you know your way around the bios.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 27-11-10, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

PSU get a Corsair.

GPU depends on what you are paying for it.

Case, well that's your preference

Motherboard either the Gigabyte UD3-2, Asus Sabertooth or a good P6 Asus.

If your £100-£200 budget is for a GPU?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1810

Will beat a 5850 and comes with Physx and CUDA.

Oh and as for Packard Bell? same trick every company uses mate. Put in a great sounding CPU and then skimp on the rest and use the CPU as the selling point.
1. Agree with Alienalx on PSU Corsair...but modular.

2. But on GPU suggest HIS ATI 6870 HD thats what I'm getting (about $200.00 US) until 6900's come out...manily for the price and performance also the newer technology and FPS...very nice for the price and run cooler than 5850 if I understood Tom right in video. Watch Tom's vid review My link. You could resell them later when new 6900' come out. It's going to be interesting to see what they come out with in 6970/6990.

I'd also go with the AMD top line Phenom II x6 1090T (around $220.00 US) over intel's (I don't know much about intel though) i7 980X extreme top line (at $1000.00 US not sure this is a fair comparison the i7 980 is around 200.00 Us) of top line, the the ...again because of price and performance.

Suggestion for your Mobo (also see Tom's vids) would be the ASUS Crosshair 4 formula, ASUS Sabertooth X58, Gigabyte 870A-UD3 V2.2.
Old 01-12-10, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post

1. Agree with Alienalx on PSU Corsair...but modular.

2. But on GPU suggest HIS ATI 6870 HD thats what I'm getting (about $200.00 US) until 6900's come out...manily for the price and performance also the newer technology and FPS...very nice for the price and run cooler than 5850 if I understood Tom right in video. Watch Tom's vid review My link. You could resell them later when new 6900' come out. It's going to be interesting to see what they come out with in 6970/6990.

I'd also go with the AMD top line Phenom II x6 1090T (around $220.00 US) over intel's (I don't know much about intel though) i7 980X extreme top line (at $1000.00 US not sure this is a fair comparison the i7 980 is around 200.00 Us) of top line, the the ...again because of price and performance.

Suggestion for your Mobo (also see Tom's vids) would be the ASUS Crosshair 4 formula, ASUS Sabertooth X58, Gigabyte 870A-UD3 V2.2.
1.The HX range is all modular anyway Even if it is an extra £20 over the TX but it'll be worth the money when it comes to cable management

2.I'v already bought my GPU of choice reasoning behind it it;s cheaper and better sunning than a single 6870 if i was running a crossfire I'd have gone with the 6800 series though they do look pretty awesome and by the review(i seem to never be off video reviews lol) scale really well.

3. Budget doesn't allow for me buying a new cpu and if I'm honest I'm an intel fan boy lol, at somepoint go for an amd just as a lil experiment o se how it goes but for now I'm sticking with my 920 hehe

4. I'v looked at all the motherboards suggestd and the sabertooth seems to constantly come out on top for it;s price range gigabyte had a slight look in when it came to media work but the margin in mdia encoding compared with over plus overclock ability and warrenty(5 years is temptin me! lol) meant I think I'm stickin with the sabertooth x58 seriously can't wait to be paid on friday now lol
Old 01-12-10, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Also looking for advice on whgat would make a good cpu to go with the old parts that being

CPU:???

Motherboard: packard bell x58

RAM:Unbranded 6GB @ 600mhz

GPU:Nvidia geforce 230

PSU:standard dell 450W

case:no idea of the model, single side mesh hole no fans at all

Going for something fairly cheap it won't be overclocked or anything, I'm giving it to my gran as hers is 6 years old and just stupidly slow now trying to go fairly low priced so I'll probably end up with an amd lol
Old 02-12-10, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsand View Post

Also looking for advice on whgat would make a good cpu to go with the old parts that being

CPU:???

Motherboard: packard bell x58

RAM:Unbranded 6GB @ 600mhz

GPU:Nvidia geforce 230

PSU:standard dell 450W

case:no idea of the model, single side mesh hole no fans at all

Going for something fairly cheap it won't be overclocked or anything, I'm giving it to my gran as hers is 6 years old and just stupidly slow now trying to go fairly low priced so I'll probably end up with an amd lol
i dont see the point og getting a new cpu, since u allredy got one of the cheapest intel i7 in your new rig. it is a socket 1366 right, If so your alteratives is an i7,
Old 03-12-10, 07:56 AM

depending on your psu you could get 2x460 there very very good, in australia you can pick em up for less then a 6870. If i could redo my rig thats what i'd do.
Old 03-12-10, 07:58 AM

woops sorry missed that you bought yours already, discard my comment