Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 30-11-10, 07:58 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have just built my first watercooled PC (I'll post pictures of it in the relevant section). This was completed very recently and only now am I trying to get it tuned how it should be, as it stands the i7 950 is running stock and the so called 2000Mhz memory is ONLY running at 1066MHz!! Now I've seen Tallun's thread (http://forum.overclock3d.net/index.p..._1#entry362394) and he is basically running the same motherboard, CPU & memory, I've followed his settings to a tee and no joy. If I try and setup the first half of the config in the BIOS and then try and boot to the OS (Windows 7 64Bit) as soon as it hits the 'Starting Windows' screen the monitor signal is lost and the PC becomes unusable (upon resetting the machine it says the overclock has failed). If I try and complete all of the settings in the BIOS alone and bootup the OS I get a bad BIOS checksum error (interestingly it doesn't actually complain about a bad overclock) but equally fails miserably.

HELP??

i7 950

ASUS Rampage III

Corsair 6GB (3x2G CMT6GX3M3A2000C8

Old 30-11-10, 08:50 PM

aright there m8 before i start what bios are you on ? if you read the whole thread you will see i was having problems untill i flashed the bios the latest bios is 1102 but there seems to be issues with it im useing bios 1005. im able to boot into windows @4.8ghz with 2005mhz ram i run my system 24/7 @4.2ghz not a problem again check the thread for details theres some pics on there too if i can help you i will just remember although you have the same setup all cpu n mobos are not all going to act the same
Old 30-11-10, 10:17 PM
The Guvnor

Basically dude have a read of threads in this section of the forum first as all the details you need have been answered 1,000,000 times this month alone

to start with set your system up for XMP and that will get the mem running at 2000mhz.

1066 is the stock seetings it will default too.

once you have read the other posts and understand your bios a bit better we can help you. you need to learn to walk first. If you want a quick set and forget you have come to the wrong forums

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Old 01-12-10, 12:39 AM
OC3D Crew

Send a message via MSN to cbiltsouris
we have exactly the same same parts, the ram working for ya? ive got a 4.00ghz @ 1.28v completely stable, running 1603mhz, however tallun what volts to you have to use top get to 4.4ghz? plus why in the world is my ram not stable at 2005mhz im deffinatly sure our doms can go to 2000mhz, ive only got 4gb to use coz 2 went missing in the bios plus ive only got 2 cores and 4 threads and ive ENABLED all the cores, it happend when i started to ramp up the clocks, doing another rebuild today.

Old 01-12-10, 07:36 AM

The motherboard shipped with the latest BIOS on it (1102). I can't even use the XMP profile (it tries to set the CPU to 3146 & the memory to 2006) but the machine fails to boot and upon powering off & on it then says bad overclock.

Cheers Tallun, I know even though the parts are the same it doesn't necessarily mean the system will act the same.
Old 01-12-10, 11:58 AM
OC3D Elite

If you are struggling to get the XMP to run stable, take it off and plug it all in manually. Take the BCLK up to 200, the CPU multiplier down to 20x and memory dividor to 8:2 (1600MHz), Vcore to 1.33V for starters and memory voltage to whatever the memory wants (may well be 1.65V). After that bump the QPI and VVT voltages up. Make sure the temps stay low.

Make sure the memory timings are correct (probably 8-8-8-20 or something.

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 01-12-10, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post

The motherboard shipped with the latest BIOS on it (1102). I can't even use the XMP profile (it tries to set the CPU to 3146 & the memory to 2006) but the machine fails to boot and upon powering off & on it then says bad overclock.

Cheers Tallun, I know even though the parts are the same it doesn't necessarily mean the system will act the same.
aright m8 ive tried that bios 1102 and it doesnt work very well like i said im running bios 1005 this bios is official and very stable i was having all sorts of problems before i updated to 1005 once i booted back into windows everything worked fine xmp loaded no probs n i was able to set my ram @2005 i personally woulld change that bios but thats up to you theres loads of threads on this forum have a look n a good read regarding only showing 2 cores 4 threads go to start orb n type msconfig go into boot advanced options check the box number of processors select 8 ok then restart you should now have all processors
Old 01-12-10, 02:02 PM
OC3D Crew

Send a message via MSN to cbiltsouris
They only offered 2 cores can't do anything now hole thing is dead...sniff

Old 01-12-10, 02:32 PM

I've now downgraded the BIOS to 1005 and XMP still won't load, just hangs and on reboot it says bad overclock. If I set everything in the BIOS except the voltages to try and get into windows and set the voltages in Turbo it also just hangs, why is this so f**king hard.
Old 01-12-10, 04:33 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post

I've now downgraded the BIOS to 1005 and XMP still won't load, just hangs and on reboot it says bad overclock. If I set everything in the BIOS except the voltages to try and get into windows and set the voltages in Turbo it also just hangs, why is this so f**king hard.
Its not hard dude its just YOU NEED TO READ THE GUIDES

it will be some simple setting or just simply the fact you have not done your homework. Once you have learned what to do its actually very easy.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW